Sunday, July 23, 2006

Pandas & Yetis & Blogs, oh my


I was skimming random blogs and found a new site about the Yeti. He has always intrigued me so I read the single post with interest and decided to leave a comment. Besides, I'm still pretty new at this and I like to encourage other bloggers.

I clicked on the comment page and it said, "This blog does not allow anonymous comments."

Huh? What's with that? Isn't that kind of the POINT? Aren't we hoping that others will relate to something we write and begin a discourse? Well, damn. I love it when somebody writes to my blog. It makes me feel a little less like a lone voice crying in the wilderness. Silly me. I really thought we all wanted to engage, if from a safe distance.

Okay, then. Here is MY picture of the Yeti. Nyah nyah. Who needs your stupid blog anyway?

Well, she who blogs and runs away lives to blog another day. This time I found a charming site on pandas. I love pandas. In fact, I love pandas even more than I love Yetis. And one of the comments was from a guy who stated that pandas make great eating. This was really too much. I had to know if he was serious, if anyone in China would actually serve an endangered animal that is their major non-political claim to fame. I had to write a comment.

But wait. There it was again. "This blog does not allow anonymous comments."

Who, exactly, IS allowed to comment on these blogs? Can anybody clue me in as to why someone would run a blog like an exclusive social club?

Years ago, I was so offended by the Biltmore Hotel's Men's Bar in NYC (No Women Allowed) that I strolled through it in a short red dress and dangerously high heels. I sashayed slowly all the way to the far reaches of the bar as dozens of old codgers choked on their manhattans and extra dry martinis with a twist, then turned around and promenaded verrrrry slowly back again, the whole length of the bar, finally letting myself out on the sidewalk. You could have heard an olive drop. The cigar smoke in there was deadly. I didn't want a drink. I just wanted to make a point.

Now, all these years later, I find out that in some mysterious way I don't qualify to leave a comment on somebody's blog. It gets my dander up. It pisses me off. It just makes me want to dig out that old red dress and strollllll.

Here, then, is my separate but equal picture of a panda. And anybody who wants to leave a comment is more than welcome to bring it on.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can see the yeti's genitalia.

heartinsanfrancisco said...

I noticed that! Why are they always males, anyway?

Anonymous said...

I don't like being locked out of people's blogs either. It's not as if I would ever say anything MEAN. But maybe some people do say mean things.

Well, come to think of it, if George Bush had a blog I would write mean things in it ---- so maybe there's a blogger vandal in all of us?

heartinsanfrancisco said...

I suppose one person's free expression is another person's vandalism.

I just think the air must get a little stale in there with only the same, predictable, known commentators. Come to think of it, why not just write all ones OWN comments so as not to risk being exposed to Other Peoples' Views, ever?

Anonymous said...

Dear self, congratulations on writing an especially stimulating and insightful entry today. I never cease to be awed by your sheer brilliance.
Love, me

:)

heartinsanfrancisco said...

That's the ticket! When I finish laughing out loud, I just might do that.