Saturday, August 11, 2007
Chani at Thailand Gal has tagged me to tell ten things I like about myself.
In her words: "You are such a clear-thinker and such a faithful friend. There is no way in the world I will ever be able to really thank you for that. With your quick wit and obvious intelligence, you are a teacher for me. All the time. I would also like to hear ten things you like about yourself. I want to know if they match the things I like about you. :)"
Thank you, Chani. What you've said about me is so very generous and kind. I really appreciate it, and also that I am now forced to consider myself in a more positive way than usual. Normally, I chastise myself for my failings, as I was taught that blowing ones own horn was immodest. Perhaps some balance is needed after all.
1. I like my sense of humor, which is often quirky. I probably enjoy it more than anyone else, which doesn't bother me in the least. I have a great capacity to entertain myself, although sometimes I do so in inappropriate places.
2. I like that I have no prejudices. My life would be considerably smaller and poorer if all my friends came from similar backgrounds and were just like me. It would be unimaginably stagnant and boring, and none of us would ever learn anything new. I could not live like that.
3. I have always defended underdogs, and I am generally compassionate (with a few notable exceptions.)
4. I understand and relate to animals well, perhaps because I am not caught up in the human dominance and superiority fallacy.
5. I like that I have a great deal of intellectual curiosity about nearly everything.
6. I appreciate my creative ability. I am artistic, I cook well, and am able to make a charming home out of anyplace I live.
7. I am comfortable with people from all walks of life. I feel eye to eye with everyone, regardless of our respective status, and I look for qualities of spirit in those I like and love.
8. I am loyal, supportive and nurturing. Plants, animals and children grow magnificently for me.
9. I have an excellent memory which is both photographic and phonographic. I can remember nearly every moment of my life, entire conversations, everything. This extremely fortunate party trick was most helpful in school and enabled me to get by with little effort.
10. I am strong. I have had a lot of trauma in my life but I am still here, and not diminished by it. I have come to believe that adversity has made me even stronger, and I know it has given me more confidence in myself.
Bonus: I like that I'm tall. Also deluded.
Now it's my turn to choose five of my blog friends to tell ten things they like about themselves.
1. Liz at Los Angelista's Guide to The Pursuit Of Happiness
I love her fine mind and great honesty, her personal beauty.
2. Maht at The Moon Topples
I love his creativity and generosity, the way he supports other writers.
3. Kevin at Kevin Charnas
I love his impish sense of humor, which cannot hide his intellect and decency.
4. Voyager at Spindrift and Dreams
I love her indomitable spirit, her personal strength and dignity.
5. Odat at Odat's Mumblings
I love her sense of fun and her quirky charm which brightens the blogosphere for so many.
The torch is passed. You're all amazing, and I eagerly await reading your lists.