Friday, February 01, 2008

Your Excellencies

Claudia at On a Limb with Claudia and Rachel at Lessons Learned have both donated an Excellent Blog award to me. Thank you, Claudia and Rachel!

Claudia is a sublime writer who combines spiritual values with great comic timing. Her posts are always astonishing because her far-reaching mind leaves no subject unexamined.

Rachel is a terrific artist and writer whose blog never fails to enlighten or entertain, and she is a super-nice person besides.

I'm going to take my prize and run as soon as I share it with a few of the many bloggers I admire and enjoy regularly.


Two I have come upon only recently are

Nick at Nickhereandnow and Kapuananiokalaniakea of Waking Up in Portland.

Nick has a wonderful command of the language and seems to share my opinions on practically everything, which is a powerful inducement to love his blog, but I would anyway. His wit and honesty are a joy and I celebrate every time he has a new post.

Puanani writes lyrically and clearly has a particularly green thumb with children, plants and also words. Her writing abilities are as breathtaking as her soul is beautiful.

I highly recommend both these blogs to all who love interesting subject matter presented with grace, charm and compassion.

I read on Jocelyn's site, O Mighty Crisis, that it's Girl Scout Cookie Drive time. I am nothing if not suggestible, so I immediately checked online to make sure it was happening everywhere, not just in Minnesota, bundled up and went out in the pouring, near-freezing rain.

I stopped at my bank's ATM machine and then cruised all known Girl Scout hangouts: In front of Williams Sonoma, in front of Starbucks, and in front of Safeway.

Rain was pouring down the back of my jacket and my jeans were wet up to my thighs. I was sloshing around in soggy sneakers with money in my pocket but those wussy little girls were nowhere to be seen.

Isn't there a merit badge for Community Responsibility? Compassion? Feeding the Cookie Monster?

They just don't make scouts the way they used to. At least not in California. All the REAL Girl Scouts are in Minnesota, selling cookies behind the snow plow.

It would be excellent if I didn't live in La-La Land.

22 comments:

Unknown said...

Stephen brought home some
girl scout cookies the other day and they did not seem as good as we rememered. Maybe you are not missing anything.

RED MOJO said...

You do deserve a medal, but congratulations on the blog award! You deserve that too! Congrats to your awardees. I will go check out their blogs.

heartinsanfrancisco said...

Sister,

Actually, they never were that good. It's just a reflex, like pledging allegiance or watching what Punxsutawney Phil does.

Mojo,

Please do. You won't be disappointed.

Anonymous said...

Flattery will get you everywhere. You are too kind, I had no idea my blog was so accomplished! I thought it was just a bit of light reading. Glad you enjoy it so much, I'll try to maintain those much-admired qualities! I enjoy reading your blog too for similar reasons - you always have something perceptive and interesting to say (OK, that's enough of the mutual admiration society....)

Kapuananiokalaniakea said...

Thanks so much for the award. I am speechless. I have admired your work from afar for a while and am so honored that you like me too! (Feeling a bit Sally Field-ish here -- imagine my chagrin!)

As to the Girl Scouts -- nary a green uniform in Portland either. You're right, they just don't make 'em like they used to. I had no idea that it was that time of year again. Rest assured, I will be keeping an eagle eye, ever on the look out for my yearly fix.

meno said...

I think it's because they took out the yummy transfats. :(

Unknown said...

You're right. They never were all that good. I think part of the reason we want them is because we can only get them once a year for a very short time.

heartinsanfrancisco said...

Nick,

Your blog is wonderful! It's fun and exciting to discover that my views are so similar to those of an Englishman living in Ireland.

Do you think that I could be your doppelganger, or that you are mine?

Puanani,

I was an instant convert to your fan club when I read my first post over there.

It's funny about those cookies. There are far better commercial ones available AND I didn't like being a Girl Scout very much, yet something there is that delivers me to their greedy little hands year after year.

Meno,

That must be it. Trannies need not apply.

Sister,

I think you're onto something. Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

Christy said...

I ordered cookies and haven't gotten them yet. But the order sheet was not behind a snow plow, it was left by the girl's Mom on the cafe table at work. =o)

Anonymous said...

Your doppelganger? Now there's a question. It's strange how we instantly get on with some people while others seem completely alien. Jenny and I clicked immediately, and then discovered our birthdays are exactly 6 months apart. Could that explain it? I've yet to find someone else with J's birthday to see if there's the same rapport.

Anonymous said...

I'm only surprised if you DON'T receive an award since you're one of the best and brightest. Congrats!


The cookie patrol came to me at work. I ordered a couple of boxes of sugar free cookies since I was a scout and I remember the excitement of selling the treats.

Kind Claudia said...

Hey - did you see that I gave you a blogging award - it was a while ago... Shall I send you the link?

I do love the Girl Scout Cookie. We've order a whole mess of them from a friend's little girl. Yummy!! :)

Jo said...

Oh, gosh, I'd love to live in La La land. Trade ya. Is it Girl Guide Cookie time again? I love the minty ones.

There is a little something for you over at my blog. No, it's not a Girl Guide Cookie.

heartinsanfrancisco said...

Christy,

I hope Mama Scout delivers them soon.

It seem like cheating to award patches to kids who didn't really earn them, but the world has become too dangerous to send children door to door.

Nick,

It seems that everything you write is something I would have if I'd thought of it, with a similar slant.

My husband, Flip, has the same birthday as my two most serious ex-boyfriends, so you may be onto something.

Mine is in late June, six months minus one day from Christmas, which of course is a rather famous birthday.

Jali,

You're too kind!

I heard they now have sugar-free cookies and I think one with ginger which I'd love to try. I adore ginger in any form.

Claudia,

Oops. My bad. I had spaced on it but I found that post again in your archives. I'm so sorry. That was a rotten way to repay such kindness. If you want to take back all those glorious things you said about me, I'll understand.

Drinking tea with Girl Scout cookies is the loveliest pastime. I hope yours arrive soon.

heartinsanfrancisco said...

Josie,

Actually, they will have to pry my cold, dead fingers away from San Francisco. I love living here!

Thank you for the lovely present. You make my day, too!

Anonymous said...

An adorable little girl came to my door selling girl scout cookies this weekend. I didn't even mind iterrupting my painting to order some thin mints.

riseoutofme said...

Congratulations! Well deserved! Must go check out your awardees!

Never had a girl scout made cookie in all of my life ... I wonder what the girl guides were doing when they should have been baking cookies?

heartinsanfrancisco said...

Citizen,

Are you painting on a canvas or the walls?

Enjoy your thin mints when the adorable child delivers them.

Rise,

The Girl Guides don't sell cookies?
Or even soda bread?

I wonder what the little scamps are up to.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! You are an amazing writer, blogger and always a good read.

as for the cookies: booth sales start in March and finish by April. Other than that, the cookies are on their way. Daughter just turned in her forms.

heartinsanfrancisco said...

Pool,

We don't get any foot traffic in our building, so I'll have to wait until they set up outside stores in March.

We did make a detour to Krispy Kreme Donuts the other day. It helped a little.

Eastcoastdweller said...

They do seem to be scarce these days. Heaven knows I've never turned down a Girl Scout cookie sale offer in my life --I'd buy a sack of dirt if it benefited that wonderful organization.

heartinsanfrancisco said...

Eastcoaster,

March. If they don't come to your house, they set up outside stores in March with whatever is left.